I feel that as far as finding the right balance between deliciousness and nutrition this steamed salmon with lime, ginger and tamari is a cracker
I tend to go pretty crazy with the kaffir lime leaves because I love the flavour and I am lucky enough to have my own kaffir lime tree in my backyard.
Serve this salmon with a heap of your favourite veggies such as steamed brocollini and snow peas. I love to serve it with a mix of cooked basmati rice and quinoa – I love the texture of the two mixed together as the quinoa gives it a really great pop and nuttiness.
I am a big one to always give you alternatives because I find so many people get scared of cooking when they have to deviate from the recipe. I really want to empower youto have some fun and enjoy the process.
You don’t need a whole side of salmon, you can do this with fillets or cutlets and it can be done with any fish of your liking. Also if you have any left overs you can easily make it into a salad for lunch the next day by adding some baby spinach leaves and coconut chips.
I use a large inexpensive bamboo steamer that I purchased from the Asian grocer. If you don’t have one you can place the salmon onto a rack, place it into a wok or tray, place water underneath and cover with a lid or foil and cook on the stovetop or in the oven.
1-1.2kg side of salmon or 5 salmon fillet pieces
1 bunch coriander- leaves picked and stalks finely chopped
1 small knob of ginger approx. inch cubed - grated
1 clove of garlic – minced
2 limes - 1 thinly sliced and the other cut into wedges for serving
¼ red onion finely chopped
6 kaffir lime leaves finely sliced
¼ - ½ cup of tamari
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 cup basmati rice
1/4 cup quinoa
1. Ensure all ingredients have been chopped and prepared first.
2. Place 1 cup of basmati rice and ¼ cup quinoa into amedium sized saucepan with a lid, place 2 cups boiling water into saucepan, place lid on top and place over low heat.. Cook for approx. 15mins. Time will differ and vary depending on your cooktop.
3. Place the raw salmon – skin side down onto the plate and into the base of the steamer then scatter the chopped coriander stalks, minced garlic and grated ginger and rub over the salmon. Then place sliced lime, kaffir lime leaves, chopped red onion, tamari, fish sauce, for the salmon on top.
4. Place boiling water into the wok . Place the steamer on top with the steamer lid and cook for approx. 10- 15 mins – time will vary depending on the size of your salmon and how you cooked you like it.
5. Your fish and rice will be ready around the same time. Serve with coriander leaves and lime wedges.