As far as salads go this is probably my favourite, not only because it is delicious but it is so bright and even though it uses winter root vegetables - no matter what time of year that I cook this - it reminds me of summer. I really love the roasted and the raw elements together in this dish. Eating the carrots with all its deliciously sweet roasted flavours and then crunchy and fresh, not to mention all the fresh herbs just make everything feel brighter.
This is also a dish that I consistently get asked for the recipe, so my beautiful friends – here it is.
This salad is certainly a meal in itself however if you are looking for a great side dish to go with chicken, fish or beef this also does the trick.
If you are vegan or vegetarian adding some green puy lentils and quinoa goes really well.
Feel free to freestyle and have some fun with the recipe, the wheels wont fall off the wagon if you don’t have all of the ingredients. If you like use just one type of root vegetable or swap out with sweet potato or beetroot. Lastly have some fun in the kitchen and enjoy!!
1 butternut, peeled, deseeded and roughly cut into 2cm cubes
7 carrots – 6 peeled and cut roughly cut into 1cm slices– 1 left raw for grating
2 cloves garlic – peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons EVO + 1 teaspoon for dressing
¼ cup pepitas
¼ cup sunflower seeds (or 1/3 cup tamari sunflower & pepita mix)
200g haloumi (I prefer Barossa Valley Cheese Company haloumi)
2 lemons – 1 cut into 8 wedges – the other cut into half.
200g baby spinach
½ red onion finely sliced
¼ cup coriander- leaves picked and stalks finely chopped
¼ cup mint. – leaves picked and finely chopped
¼ cup parsley leaves - chopped
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Place prepared pumpkin and 6 carrots chopped into large oven tray/s in one so they are in one layer. Sprinkle entire spice mix, finely chopped coriander stalks, garlic and EVO over vegetables and mix till fully coated. Then place lemon halves (not the wedges) into the oven tray – cook for aproximately 30 mins or until roasted and golden. Remove from the oven allow to cool to room temp.
3. Dry roast pepitas and sunflower seed in a medium hot pan till golden and they start to pop. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. When ready to serve, peel and grate the remaining raw carrot or use mandolin with julienne and chop the fresh mint.
5. Set aside roasted lemon wedges. In a large bowl mix roast vegetables, baby spinach, toasted seeds, raw carrot and herbs together. Squeeze roasted lemon juice over salad. Place salad into serving dish.
6. Cut the haloumi into 1/2cm slices and panfry in a non-stick frypan till golden.
7. Place haloumi on top of salad, drizzle teaspoon of EVO and serve with fresh lemon wedges, freshly cracked black pepper and serve immediately.